Tuesday 2 May 2017

‘Final Piece’

Tuesday 2nd May, 2017.
‘Final Piece’

I thought it would be best fitting to present a final piece instead of a collective of pieces to show my progression this semester. I wanted to create a piece that showed the elements of my work that have worked best. I chose to work with pieces of board that I had cut into an octagonal shape to get away from the rectangle board I had been sticking to. The different shape is more engaging than my other pieces and looks like a construction, adding to the industrial-looking colour tones.

The octagon shape is similar to that of a honeycomb (although that is a hexagon) to represent the structure that the pattern represents. The pattern is taken from the lines I found in Meadowhall’s construction. The ceiling was revealed to show the pipes and structure underneath. The straight and intertwined lines were perfect to focus on for my final piece without too much abstraction and change.
I wanted the pattern to carry on through the whole piece as it made the tiles tie in to each other smoothly. It was successful on my previous piece where I’d made the pattern go throughout both canvases so I was confident that it would work and look professional. The pattern and shape of the boards make your eye start at the top of the piece and leads your eye down, connecting through the lines.



























The colours were in keeping with the rest of my work, they are subtle and cool. I have found that cool colours are the most effective at bringing a calm feeling to a piece, which is what I wanted for this. When I had finished the painting and hung it, I had many people saying just how nice and calming it was to look at. These comments are the main reason I think this painting was a success because I want my work to have a positive and calming reaction.


If I were to do this piece again (or even what I want to do next term) I would make it even bigger so it was covering the entire wall. This way the calming effect would be much more intense. I would experiment with different moods to colours and try brighter colours to intensify the piece.



No comments:

Post a Comment