Friday 17 February 2017

Studio - Knowing what i'm doing finally

Friday 17th February, 2017.
Knowing what I’m doing.

After a lot of deliberation and tears, I know what work I’m producing for my studio module this term. Before, I was just putting geometric shapes on a canvas and hoping they worked. Through the help of my tutors, I have found a much better way of working.

My strategy for making my work now is to draw little observational drawings of a place or object in a space and then to disfigure and manipulate it into geometric forms on a canvas or board. This has worked really well because it isn’t guess work as to what I’m trying to manipulate.






This was the first piece I produces for this module and I disliked it so much I didn’t finish it. There was no organisation to where I was placing the shapes or what colours I was using. Because of the dis-organisation the colours and shapes don’t look like they belong in the same painting. The only aspect that I liked about this painting was it’s background. I applied metallic paint to a piece of crumpled paper and dabbed it onto the board. I also did this with the silver in the circle.









After taking my tutors advice of using observational drawings to form my painting I produced this painting. This was of objects in the studios that I had manipulated into my perception of them. There are elements of it that I like such as the complimentary colours and each colour has a partnering colour. However, the overall aesthetic is messy and unorganised. The white lines do not match up correctly and the shapes are not emphasised enough. 




No comments:

Post a Comment