Wednesday 19 April 2017

Structural/industrial colour

Wednesday 19th April 2017
Structural/industrial colour
 After my minimal off-white painting, I wanted to experiment with light grey tones to see if it could be more successful. The grey tones, combined with the straight and rigid lines, gave the piece an industrial effect. The colour grey in this piece makes me think of a factory, where the wooden board was made and it’s own process before I started my own with it.
The lines flow through the painting with adjacent lines running through from side-to-side. If I were to improve the piece, I would keep the pattern/lines the same as they look sophisticated on the board however I would try a more subtle grey as I think parts are too dark and contrast too much with the rest of the painting.
As with my other paintings, there is a similarity to Mondrian and van Doesburg’s use of line to separate colours.
This work was on a bigger scale than my previous paintings, I believe this is a reason towards why it is one of my more successful. The bigger the panes of subtle colour mean you are able to see the colour more clearly. This does however mean that you can see the colour from a-far and isn’t like an optical illusion.

I think it’s interesting to see an image of it on paper (above) next to the real painting to see how scale transforms it. It is much harder to see the detail and colour in a picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment