Saturday 1 April 2017

Minimal painting

Saturday 1st April 2017
Minimal painting

After looking at minimal art, I wanted to strip back my painting to gain a more minimal effect. I used a slightly off-white colour to create the pattern onto a white canvas. The canvas created white lines after I took the masking tape off so there was little difference in tones.
Because of the subtle difference in tones you can only see the pattern from a-far but only when you are quite close. It becomes more of an optical illusion. Moving around the piece is interesting to see how it reacts to different lights. The lines become a lot more clear when the lights are dimmer but I prefer when it is light and you really have to look at it.
The lines are a lot more sophisticated than my previous paintings because they are more subtle.
























With my other paintings I have produced on canvas the paint has often bled through the lines of the masking tape but this time it hasn’t. I think this was because I was more delicate with the paint as it was more subtle than my previous pieces. I would work with canvas again but I think it is easier to work with wooden panels because there is less chance of bleeding. It is also easier to find big panels of wood to work with to progress my work on a bigger scale.















No comments:

Post a Comment