Friday 13 October 2017

Scale and Paul Morrison


While looking at my line drawings my tutor suggested I look at the scale of which I was drawing them. He helped me to print my drawing out large like an artist who he introduced me too: Paul Morrison. Although he went to University in Sheffield (where I’m from) I wasn’t familiar with him but found my work really relates to his. He creates botanical drawings, mainly in monochrome. His “boldly rendered gardens and landscapes are magnified, distorted, and cartoon-like, appearing through various mediums in paintings, drawings, prints, sculptures, and film. Morrison consciously shifts scales and takes inspiration from timeworn engravings, botanical illustrations, comics, animations, and found images.”

On a photo of his works you do not guess that it is as tall as a building. This made me think about scale within my own work and when we blew my drawing up large the overall image was arresting on the wall because it invaded the space with how much larger it was.




I aesthetically appreciated how my drawing looked large however if I were to make them all this big I would unfortunately not have the space to include the repetition of the flowers, thus getting rid of why I’m using flowers in the first place; because they follow the Fibonacci sequence.
I also found that when I blew the image up the quality of the image recreated and became pixilated and not sharp. If I were to create drawings with the intention of them being large scale I would make them larger to begin with to get rid of this problem. 







No comments:

Post a Comment