Thursday 19 October 2017

Wallpaper Samples

I went to a DIY store and looked at floral wallpaper samples to see what qualities they commonly have. This sample was a favourite of mine because the collections of flowers look like they are coming out of the shadows behind. It has a blank background which makes the flowers stand out a lot more than if there was another pattern behind. The soft colours are also attractive to me because they are not garish like others.

This sample is very different from the others as there is a pattern stretching behind the roses. The pattern distracts from the roses and makes the overall presentation look busy and unorganised. The colour scheme being very similar throughout the sample makes it difficult to see the roses that are meant to be the most prominent feature. Because of this I don’t find it aesthetically pleasing, which is very important to me in my work.


 Although the flowers in this wallpaper are too animated for my liking, the bright colours distinguish what is the main focal point of the pattern. The way the pattern follows on from each other from a vine is attractive as it leads the eye through the pattern. However, the pattern is very simplistic and doesn’t have many elements to it. Because of this the viewer can’t be intrigued about the pattern because there is very little to it.   

This pattern is like the previous in that the pattern runs through the roll by a connecting leaves and vines. This sample is more realistic and with a much more muted colour palate to the previous. However, it has gone too far the other way and isn’t eye catching with such little colour and substance to the pattern. The outline of the flowers without colour makes its centre more of a focal point, but it still lacks much detail and substance.

 This sample is by far my favourite. The pattern leads the eye through the wall with different elements. Although I think that the dragon flies and butterflies are unnecessary I understand that this wallpaper is for domestic use. The different colours entice the eye and the simple pallet is aesthetically pleasing. The darkness of the background really makes the light colours stand out but I imagine this to quite an unpleasant background colour if it were to cover an entire wall.  

From looking at these different samples I have decided that the pattern I want to create for my ‘wallpaper’ will have a plain background so all the detail can be centred on the pattern itself. I also want there to multiple flowers running through it so that there’s substance and makes the pattern aesthetically pleasing. My ‘wallpaper’ will be coloured but I want to stick to a simple colour pallet so I don’t take away from the effect of the pattern.

No comments:

Post a Comment